Recently, the second season of the series The Great, based on the life of Catherine the Great, got released on Hulu. Everyone was eagerly waiting for its release.
The end of the second season was also peaceful, but the final scenes provide some twists to the plot. The sudden twists have provided us with some hints about the plot of the third season.
If you haven’t watched the series yet, then don’t scroll down as it contains heavy spoilers.
The second season of The Great is named An Almost Entirely Untrue Story. Tony McNamara is the creator of the comedy-drama streaming TV series.
Nick O’Hagan and Dean O’Toole are the producers of the American series that got released on 15th May 2020 on Hulu.
What Is the Plotline of the Series the Great?
The storyline of the series revolves around the longest-reigning female ruler in the history of Russia, Catherine the Great. It is a satire of comedic drama that displays the rise of the queen. Her journey from being an outsider to the longest-reigning ruler has been demonstrated very well. The series is fictionalized and shows the youth and marriage of Catherine to Emperor Peter III.
Read also: Selling Sunset Season 4
The plot of the show focuses on the murder of her corrupt and dangerous husband. Surprisingly, she was the one to kill him.
The second season of the show continues after four months of the end of the previous season. Catherine takes the throne from Peter by forcing him to sign the papers of abdication. After several months, Catherine is still ruling the country with full grasp, whereas Peter tries to make her fall in love with him with the help of Elizabeth. The plan gets spoiled as Peter sleeps with Catherine’s mother, Joanna, and kills her accidentally.
The finale of the second season follows a sudden twist.
It was quite unexpected. Catherine is shown to forgive Peter for his actions and avoids the bloody battle. She kisses Peter and takes Paul to bed. In the end, Velementov arrests the loyal people of Peter, which is assumed to be the orders of Catherine. Catherine tries to kill Peter by stabbing him. However, she stabs Pugachev, Peter’s double.
This action raises a lot of questions in the mind of the viewers, which will be cleared in the later season probably.
When Was the Second Season of the Series the Great Got Released Over the Original Network?
The second season of the series The Great premiered on 19th November 2021 in the US. On the same day, it got released on Amazon Prime in Canada.
The second season will be premiered on Starzplay on 5th December 2021 in the UK.
The Great Season 2 consists of ten episodes.
What Are the Names of the Characters Involved in the Second Season of the Series the Great?
- Catherine the Great, played by Elle Fanning, is the protagonist of the series. She is a beautiful girl with a slim figure. When she arrived in Russia, she was innocent in case of love. She was intelligent with a bubbly and optimistic nature. She later becomes the Empress of Russia and tries to improve the country.
- Peter III of Russia and Yemelyan Pugachev is played by Nicholas Hoult. Peter III is the antagonist of the series and the current Emperor of Russia. He marries a princess from Prussia, but she goes against him after discovering that he is a terrible ruler.
- Maria, played by Phoebe Fox, is the servant and friend of Catherine. When her father invoked the anger of the Emperor, she became the servant. She has also been known as the mistress of the Emperor.
- Count Orlo, played by Sacha Dhawan, is a supporting character in the series. He is a member of the court of Peter III as an ambassador and bureaucrat. After cutting the beard of Alexi Rostov forcefully against his will, he agrees to help Catherine.
- Georgina Dymova’s role played by Charity Wakefield
- Grigor Dymov’s role played by Gwilym Lee
- Archbishop “Archie” played by Adam Godley
- General Velementov’s role played by Douglas Hodge
- Aunt Elizabeth’s role played by Belinda Bromilow
- Arkady’s role played by Bayo Gbadamosi
- Tatyana’s role played by Florence Keith-Roach
- Lady Antonia Svenska’s role played by Danusia Samal
- Leo Voronsky’s role played by Sebastian de Souza
What Are the Ratings of the Series the Great?
Both the seasons of the series received an amazingly positive response from the audience and critics. The critical consensus of the website mentions that The Great didn’t work out to be as great as its namesake. But the delicious performances of Elle Fanning and Nicholas Hoult make it worth watching. The wicked sense of humour performed by them makes it a pretty good watch.
After the release of the second season, the critical consensus mentions Season 2 better than the previous one. All the credit goes to the amazing cast.
Read also: Atypical Season 4: Is “Worthwhile” To Spend Your Weekend Or It Is Just “Mediocre”? Know Here!
The Great Season 2 has received a score of 100% on the Tomatometer, based on 24 critic ratings. The audience score is 90% on Rotten Tomatoes, based on 48 user ratings.
The Great has received a rating of 8.1 out of 10 on IMDb.
Where Can We Watch the Series the Great?
There are many websites available over the Internet where you will find the series The Great to watch. The most famous one is Amazon Prime. You can buy or rent the seasons or episodes from here.
The Great is also available on Hulu. A free trial is also available for new users.
It is also available for free on many websites like Stan, Starz Play, Neon, and Watch Series. Thirty days free trial is available on Stan.
You can also watch the series through Reelgood.
Many websites will allow you to download the series so that you can watch it offline without interruption.
The last minutes of Season 2 has set the plot of Season 3. People are already getting excited about the next season.
What are your views on it? Do write us in the comment section below.